Friday, August 18, 2006

Office gigs used to drive me insane. The one I had in the Air Force was mind numbing. I’ve been keeping myself entertained fairly well these days with it all though thanks to the fact that nobody really cares what I do here. I spent this week at work reading Knut Hamsun’s Hunger and eating cookie crisp. Since I got this gig in June I’ve been able to do a lot of reading which has been excellent. So far I’ve been able to finally read:

The aforementioned Hunger

Women, Factotum, Love is a Dog from Hell, Burning in Water, Drowning in Flame and South of No North by Charles Bukowski


Slaughterhouse Five and Breakfast of Champions by Vonnegut

The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky

North by Celine

Ask the Dust and Full of Life by John Fante

I’ve also really gotten into Phillip Glass as they’re playing him a lot here on the classical station. I start acting classes on Monday. Still can’t find it in me to break it off with the girlfriend. A big part of me is miserable and another big part of me is just too comfortable. Romantic relationships are utterly unnatural, never again hopefully after this one…hopefully.

I’ve revised my short story Poetry is for Assholes a trillion times and I think I should have a final version ready to send out by the end of Sunday. It’s the story about a guy (Garrison Brownstein), his friend Matt Johnson and how they subsequently fall in love with a pretentious hack poet. They go across the country to San Francisco to get into what they still think is a huge writing and poetry scene only to stay there for a day and wind up in Jackson Mississippi where they become huge pretentious poets in their small community. The whole story ends a bit tragically but it’s quirky, dirty, sexy, and it has a theme. Bad art begat bad art and leaks into the media and affects society as whole. Don’t think that popular shitty band/book/show/movie/artwork matters? Think again!

I’ve got to get back to my real writing; maybe I’ll have some work to do as well. I move back to LA in ten months and counting. I can’t wait to leave Sacramento; this place is drowning my soul.


-Ryan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home